Many thanks to ANA Founding Member, Jannine Barron of Nature’s Child, for sharing her tips to make nappies a joy!
- Toddlers love to help hang out nappies! Make this an activity in your day. Give them their own basket and washing line if they are particularly keen.
- Enjoy the shopping! Nappies, like clothes, can be a fashion statement as well as practical. Choose colours and styles that you like and make you feel good about what you are doing. It adds joy to hanging them on the line.
- Nappy liners are wonderful. They collect the poo so you are only washing a wet nappy. Cloth dri-liners are inexpensive and keep babies bum really dry, no matter how wet the nappy is. They make washing a breeze!
- Nappy covers need to be breathable and not bulky. Try a few out until you find one you like. Avoid PVC and plastic; skin will not breathe in these fabrics. Nylon, wool and PUL are best.
- Many nappy covers are now designed to hold a terry towelling nappy in a rectangle pad shape, reducing the need for folding or using clips.
- Buy in bulk and group buy with friends. You will feel great about less packaging, money saved and clever budgeting.
- If you are using terry towelling nappies, do the ‘tuck and roll’. My midwife showed me this tip which I now pass on to hundreds of mums and dads. After folding your cloth nappies, tuck (or roll) the nappy up the thigh to create an “undies” look. This keeps babies legs unrestricted for movement and prevents any leaks.